Saturday, June 28, 2014

what title should I put on my business card?

what title should I put on my business card?
I am a third year university student looking for part time work as a columnist for international lifestyle magazines or weekend newspapers, but at the moment I barely have a professional network to refer me to jobs. In Jakarta, Indonesia, it seems that having personal connections to prospective employers is far more important than having the right skills and qualifications for it. Anyway, I do not want to wait until I actually get a fixed job somewhere, because that might take ages, so I've decided to start freelance. I am still attending classes at the university, so a job that requires me to be at an office 9-to-5 plus extra work on the evenings might not work anyway. But I am free Tuesday-Thursday from 13.00 till evening, and Friday before 14.30, and I should be able to produce a lot of money-making work in those times. I am a very good writer in many subjects, proficient in English and proper Indonesian--those skills alone are actually in demand, and not many people in Jakarta actually have them at the level I do. In addition to that, I speak 5 Indonesian dialects, fluent Dutch, and understand most western European languages at a basic level. I am especially good at inspirational writings on daily life, reporting current happenings with depth and reflection, and also attractively packaging subjects (music, events, hangout places, products) with a strong branding and marketing message. I'm also a good essayist. Given these qualities, I'm convinced that Jakarta has a place for me as a professional writer, but I don't know many prospective employers and have not published any material in the mass media thus far (apart from a personal blog mainly read by people who know me.) OK, so here's the deal. I want to spend the next couple of months establishing my professional reputation as a journalist, but I have no professional affiliation or published works yet to show for. What do title do I put on my business card? What questions should I anticipate, and how do I explain them? In the meantime, what can I do to expand my network as fast as possible and get somewhere in my career (i.e. some reasonable in between steps I should aim for)? I want to write for Esquire, Maxim, TimeOut, Elle, or Harper's Bazaar... but in the meantime I really would write anywhere for experience, and hopefully some reasonable pay too. Any tips?
Media & Journalism - 1 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Hmm... indeed hard. I suspect you could go for: - Content Writer - Journalism This is a hard one, thats suspected that you haven't received an answer, going for simplicity is always good through. Goodluck.